St. Leonard’s Church, Malinslee.
Easter Sunday, 16th April, 2017.
| Collect for Today
Lord of all life and power,
who through the mighty resurrection of your Son
overcame the old order of sin and death
to make all things new in him;
grant that we , being dead to sin
and alive to you in Jesus Christ,
may reign with him in glory;
to whom with you and the Holy Spirit
be praise and honour, glory and might
now and in all eternity.
First Reading – 1 Corinthians 15: 12-20.
The Gospel according to Luke 24: 1-12.
Glory to you, O Lord.
1 Very early on Sunday morning the women went to the tomb, taking the spices they had prepared. 2 They found that the stone had been rolled away from the entrance. 3 So they went in, but they didn’t find the body of the Lord Jesus. 4 As they stood there puzzled, two men suddenly appeared to them, clothed in dazzling robes.
5 The women were terrified and bowed with their faces to the ground. Then the men asked, “Why are you looking among the dead for someone who is alive? 6 He isn’t here! He is risen from the dead! Remember what he told you back in Galilee, 7 that the Son of Man must be betrayed into the hands of sinful men and be crucified and that he would rise again on the third day.”
8 Then they remembered that he had said this. 9 So they rushed back from the tomb to tell his eleven disciples — and everyone else —what had happened. 10 It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and several other women who told the apostles what had happened 11 but the story sounded like nonsense to the men, so they didn’t believe it. 12 However, Peter jumped up and ran to the tomb to look. Stooping, he peered in and saw the empty linen wrappings; then he went home again, wondering what had happened.
This is the Gospel of the Lord. Praise to you, O Christ.
To remember in our prayers to God our Father…
We pray for those who are ill at this time, especially thinking of Sue Poole, Megan Lane, Sue and Terry, Hannah, Katrina Carr, Alan Brice, Derek Brettel, Michael Stanley, Frank Shenton, Bill Woodbridge, Christine Davies, little Theo, Fran Bould, Sarah, Pam, Livvy Adams and Linda Jones.
Please pray for God’s comfort for all those who have recently lost loved ones, especially, the family and friends of Mavis Corbett, Linda Tennant, Matthew Humphreys, Hazel Burton, Pauline Oliver and Elsie Woodbridge.
We pray for our community: Lord God, in the name of Jesus, bless our community to know you, inspire each family to know your purpose for their lives and bless and work in each of our streets, particularly, Peveril Bank, Prince Andrew Drive and Prince Charles Crescent. Amen.
Please pray for our Church Finances. Pray:
- that in these times of economic hardship enough money comes in so we can pay our Parish Share;
- that all our fundraising activities this year are well supported;
- that we continue to give thanks to the Lord for all he does and that with his help we will meet our financial obligations.
Please pray for those who need to rely on food banks to help feed their families. Please pray:
- that in these difficult times enough food is forthcoming for distribution
- that the most needy have the confidence to seek help
- that more people are able to make ends meet and not have to rely on these organizations.
- that the children in our communities do not go to bed hungry or start the day without food.
This week we pray for persecuted Christians throughout the world, especially in Egypt. We pray:
- for God’s comfort for those who lost loved ones and for full recovery of the injured;
- for comfort and encouragement for the wider Christian community and for God’s protection over his church in Egypt and over other targets of these kinds of attacks;
- that the perpetrators of these violent attacks and the instigators behind them will be found and brought to justice.
NEXT WEEK: 23rd April, Morning Worship at 11 am and Easter Sing-along at Tea-time at 4 pm in George Chetwood Court, Dawley.
Tuesday, 18th April, Jolly Tots of Malinslee, 9 – 11.30 am.
Also St Leonard’s AGM at 7 pm. Please collect your report pack today, read it beforehand and bring to the meeting as there will be no more packs available at the meeting.
Wednesday, 19th April, Over 50s Coffee and Social Morning from 10 – 12 noon and 10amService in St John’s Church, Lawley. Thursday, 20th April, Knit and Natter from 1 – 3.30 pm
Saturday, 22nd April, Spring Fair at 2 pm, setting up from 10 am also Easter Open Door at St James’ Church, Stirchley Village, 1pm -3pm, then Easter Songs of Praise at 3 pm with Rev. Janet.
Wednesday, 3rd May, Alpha Course starts at 7pm
in Meeting Point House. More information at https://www.facebook.com/telfordalpha/
Wednesday, 17th May, Archbishop’s Visitation service at 7.30 pm.
Thursday, 25th May, Ascension Day Service in St Mary’s Church, Ketley.